In today’s competitive business environment keeping in constant contact with customers has become crucial in the digital space. Amazon Pinpoint helps businesses do exactly that. Amazon Pinpoint is a scalable and flexible inbound and outbound marketing communications service that ensures better customer experience and engagement. This blog post is a quick guide helping beginners to understand Amazon Pinpoint with precision.
|TABLE OF CONTENT|
|What is Amazon Pinpoint?|
|Send emails using Amazon Pinpoint|
|Steps to create a message template|
What is Amazon Pinpoint?
Amazon Pinpoint is an AWS service that one can use to engage with their customers across multiple messaging channels. Amazon Pinpoint can be used to send push notifications, in-app notifications, emails, text messages, voice messages, and messages over custom channels. It includes segmentation, campaign, and journey features that help to send the right message to the right customer at the right time over the right channel.
Features of Amazon Pinpoint :
- Define audience segments – A segment designates which users receive the messages that are sent from a campaign or journey.
- Engage your audience with messaging campaigns – A campaign sends tailored messages on a schedule that is defined.
- Create user journeys – Using journeys, messages can be sent to their customers based on their attributes, behaviors, and activities.
- Provide consistent messaging with templates – A message template contains content and settings that one can reuse in messages that are sent for any of the Amazon Pinpoint projects.
- Analyze user behavior – Insights of the audience and the effectiveness of the campaigns and messaging activities can be gained by using the analytics that Amazon Pinpoint provides.
Let’s deep dive into how Amazon Pinpoint works.!!
Send emails using Amazon Pinpoint
Step 1: Sign in to the AWS console and search for Amazon Pinpoint in the search bar and select the service.
Step 2: Provide the appropriate name for the project and click on Create a project.
Step 3: Once the project is created click on the Email feature to configure.
Step 4: Enter the sender’s email address to get it verified.
- Click on Verify
- A verification email is sent to the mentioned mail-id
- Once the email address is verified click on Save
- Click on Email identities on the left panel and check the status is verified for the email address
Step 5: Click on the project created in Step 2, select the Segments from the left panel & click on Create a segment.
Note: A segment is a group of customers that share certain attributes.
- Select Import a segment
- Provide the appropriate name for the segment
- In the specifications of the Import method select one of the below:
- Upload files from your computer
- Import files from an Amazon S3 bucket
- Create an S3 bucket and upload the CSV file, mention the S3 URL
- Mention the IAM Role or use the existing one if created
- Click on Create segment
Step 6: Segment is created, and the file is imported successfully.
Step 7: Select the Campaigns from the left panel & click on Create a campaign.
Note: A campaign is an initiation for the message that engages a specific audience segment.
Step 8: Provide the appropriate name for the campaign
- Select the Campaign type as Standard campaign
- Select the Channel as Email for the campaign created. Click on Enable this channel and verify an identity
Note: Email channel verification is a one-time process for each project created.
- Click on Save after providing the required information
- Now, select the channel type as Email and click on Next
- Select the segment created and click on Next
- Either choose the email template created/create a new email message.
- If you choose an existing email template then the template dialog box will open choose the template to be sent & click on Choose template. Click on
Note: Steps for creating a message template are provided at the end.
- If you choose to create a new email message type the message that you want to send.
- Set the schedule for the campaign based upon the requirements, provide the appropriate time zone & click on Next.
- Review the details and click on Launch Campaign.
Step 10: The campaign is created successfully, and endpoints will get the email sent.
Steps to create a message template
Step 1: Select the Message templates from the left panel & click on Create template.
Step 2: Select the Channel as Email & provide the name & description for the template.
Step 3: Provide the subject and email need to be sent to the recipients, click on Create.
Step 4: The message template is created successfully.
Amazon Pinpoint help to achieve the business needs of organizations and institutions by keeping their customer’s constant contact. Using this, businesses can keep their customers updated with the latest news, products, and information, and constantly draw their attention.
CloudThat provides end-to-end support with all the AWS services. As a pioneer in the Cloud Computing consulting realm, we are AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner, and Training partner. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Read more about CloudThat’s Consulting and Expert Advisory.
Amazon Pinpoint vs Amazon SNS: What are the differences?
Both Amazon Pinpoint and Amazon SNS are called “Mobile Push Messaging Tools”.
Amazon Pinpoint helps to carry out the following activities:
- Understanding user behavior
- Creation of targeted campaigns
- Measuring Results
Amazon SNS supports publishing messages once and delivers multiple times facility. This feature helps to send individual direct messages with Apple, Google, or Amazon devices or broadcast messages to multiple mobile devices with a single publish request.
In nutshell with Amazon SNS or Amazon SES one has to set up an application to manage each message’s target audience, content, and delivery schedule But with Amazon Pinpoint it is easy to create message templates, delivery schedules, full campaigns, and highly-targeted segments.
Does Amazon Pinpoint store my customer data?
Yes. Amazon Pinpoint maintains a backup of the user, endpoint, and event data but having said this only limited AWS employees have access to your data stored in Amazon Pinpoint as AWS takes utmost care to ensure the data privacy of users.