|TABLE OF CONTENT|
|1. AWS Snow Family Overview|
|2. What is Petabyte and Exabyte?|
|3. Introduction to AWS Snow Family|
|4. Features and Advantages|
|5. Pricing and Availability|
|7. About CloudThat|
AWS Snow Family Overview
Customers who need to operate in sparse, non-data center environments or in places with inconsistent network coverage may use the AWS Snow Family. AWS Snowcone, AWS Snowball, and AWS Snowmobile are part of the Snow Family, which comprises a range of physical devices and capacity points with built-in computing capabilities.
Image Source: AWS
What is Petabyte and Exabyte?
As we know 1 byte consists of 8 bits. Same way 1 Petabyte is (1 0000 000 000 000 000 bytes) and 1 Exabyte is (10000 000 000 000 000 000 byte).
Introduction to AWS Snow Family
AWS Snowcone is the smallest member of the AWS Snow Family, weighing 4.5 pounds (2.1 kg) with 8 terabytes of usable storage. Snowcone is robust, secure, and purpose-built for use outside the traditional data center. Its small form factor makes it ideal for tight spaces or where portability is a necessity and network connectivity is unreliable.
Image Source: https://assets.aboutamazon.com/
AWS Snowball comes in two different options. AWS Snowball Edge Warehouse Optimized devices deliver both block storage and Amazon S3-compatible object storage, and 40 VCPUs. They are well suited for local storage and large-scale data transfer. AWS Snowball Edge Compute Optimized devices provide 52 VCPUs, block and object storage, and an optional GPU for use in remote environments such as advanced machine learning and full-motion video analysis.
AWS Snowmobile moves up to 100 PB of data in a 45-foot rugged shipping container and is ideal for multi-petabyte or exabyte digital media migration and data center shutdowns. Snowmobile arrives at the customer’s site and appears as a networked data store for more secure, high-speed data transfer. After the data is transferred to Snowmobile, it is returned to the AWS region where the data is loaded into Amazon S3.
Image Source: www.cloudmanagementinsider.com
Features and Advantages
- Stable — Snow systems feature tamper-evident enclosures, 256-bit encryption, and industry-standard Trusted Platform Modules (TPM) to ensure data protection and a complete chain of custody.
- Data Networking & Versatile Data Transfer — Snow devices offer a range of options for edge computing, data transfer, and edge storage. You can send data-laden devices to AWS for offline data transfer, or you can use Snowcone to transfer data online using AWS Data Sync.
- Compact and Durable — Snow devices that can be used almost anywhere. The devices are designed to meet rigorous ruggedization requirements, including free-fall shock, operational vibration, and more, and are optimized for edge computing and data storage outside of a data center.
- Locally process and analyze data — Run applications as a consistent AWS framework on the computer without the need for network connections. This capability enables you to build and test machine learning and analysis tools in the cloud, but then use them in locations where network links are minimal or non-existent.
Pricing and Availability
Snow Family devices and vehicles are owned and managed by AWS so that customers do not need to invest in new hardware. Customers pay different start-up fees plus shipping per device. Multiple devices may be requested in parallel if more capacity is required. AWS monitors the health and use of Snow cones and Snowball and provides replacement devices when needed.
Click the links to know more about pricing
CloudThat is at the forefront of cloud consulting & training in India with a decade of experience in building a solid cloud ecosystem. We have trained 500K+ professionals on various cloud skills, trained 100+ corporates, and accomplished 350+ cloud certifications in 28+ countries. We are Microsoft Gold Partner, AWS Advanced Consulting Partner, Authorized AWS Training Partner and Authorized VMware Training Reseller.
We deliver all-encompassing consulting services that include: Cloud Consulting & Migration, Cloud Data Platform, Cloud DevOps & DevSecOps, Cloud Contract Engineering, Cloud Media Services, and Cloud Managed Services.
AWS snow family provides 3 solutions to migrate your data from your on-premise data center to AWS according to your size of data.
To learn more about each member of the snow family follow the links given here
- Which Snow family service is best for me?
Most data migration and/or remote data-gathering projects can benefit from the Snow Family, which is available in a variety of capacities and form factors. First, figure out how much storage space you’ll need. Then, determine whether you require onboard computing capabilities.
For further information, see the feature comparison table.
How quickly can I migrate data?
In most cases, the Snowball services can transfer up to 100 TBs in around a week. A snowmobile can transfer data at up to 1TB/s, implying that 100 PBs can be loaded in a matter of weeks. A dedicated T3 line at 50Mb/s, on the other hand, takes years.
2. What safety and compliance guidelines should I be aware of?
For recommended practices and compliance statements based on your location, download the AWS Snow Family Safety and Compliance Guideline.